Sept 1, 2017
All condominium corporations are required to pay annual assessment fees to the CAO. The fee has been calculated based on the equivalent of $1 per voting unit per month. According to the Condominium Act, 1998, the total assessment fee for each condominium is to be added to the common expenses. Individual condo owners are to be charged based on the percentage that they contribute to the common expenses as set out in the condominium corporation declaration.
This fee will support the CAO in providing:
- information and self-help resources about condominium living
- mandatory online training for condo directors
- tools and guides for resolving common condo issues
- access to the Condominium Authority Tribunal (CAT), a new online dispute resolution forum with exclusive jurisdiction to handle certain condo-related disputes
- a public registry containing information on all condo corporations in Ontario, for increased transparency (once required by regulation)
Effective September 1st, 2017, all condominium corporations in Ontario are required to register with the CAO and pay their initial assessment fees which will cover the period from September 1, 2017, to March 31, 2018. The initial assessment fees are due to the CAO by December 31, 2017.
The CAO is currently reaching out to all condominium corporations in Ontario via mail and email, and through their condo managers or condo management firms. If the letter has not been received, condo boards and managers are encouraged to contact the CAO at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an invitation code in order to access the registration system.